Sunday 1 January 2017

Poem: Still Raining

 

 

Still Raining

 

My window looks in on me

Still raining.

OK, I like the rain, apart from it being cold and wet:

Those attributes I am not so fond of.

 

I like it's absence of colour and it's

Complete indifference.

 

The speckles it's makes on the glass and a memory of rain- drop races with Adrian.

 

Then.

 

Now:

 

None of my current crop of children would have the patience to watch a raindrop obey the laws of physics and meander down the pane.

 

I can conjure up excitement and laughter and

Small fingers tracing their favourites. Sometimes I called THAT cheating.

 

When I lost.

 

It's good isn't it? To have a cupboard full of moments. Mine is so crammed they spill out.

 

As for this one: I hold it before it goes. It's January 1st 2017, and right here, right now, I am happy.

 

Even

Though

It's

Still

Raining

 

Happy New Year

3 comments:

  1. It's raining here too. It is supposed to be summer. I'm less than happy!

    "It's good isn't it? To have a cupboard full of moments. Mine is so crammed they spill out." I love this.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raindrop races! This triggered such a memory from childhood, though I always set two against one another on the car window while we drove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Your imagery is lovely. My grandmother also speaks of her "cupboard full of memories" and says this helps her get through rough times. Happy New Year's to you!

    ReplyDelete