Sunday 12 April 2020

The King Sleeps

The King Sleep

I will mine the agony of my God with a pick and a lamp. I will hew the stones and teach them to cry ‘Hosanna!’
I will fashion a tomb to bloom in a garden
I will fracture the face of Israel with a blow
That will become an earthquake 
To awaken the dead.
I will set my lamp beneath a splintered tree
I will close my ears against the forsaken cries of the Holy One 
I will seal my mouth against the acrid taste of blood
I will shut my eyes to hide the corpse that hangs above me. 

His eyes, not -closed. His body, not-clothed.

‘IT IS FINISHED!’

It’s over. 
God -
Adored, outpoured - passes over.

Numbed, beyond fear, I whisper a lullaby into the dark: 
‘Be still. Be still.
Night dawns.
Death dies -
The King sleeps.’

No comments:

Post a Comment