Monday 17 October 2022

Politically Naive

I used to believe that politics was fundamentally values-driven. 

Pick a bunch that mirror your values most closely, I thought. Then I became politically active. The local group of my (Labour) Party, did indeed reflect my values. They were thoughtful, compassionate, willing to work to save our community, our nation, our planet, from the greedy, unethical, unjust and uncaring forces of rampant consumerism. 

Our values were judged unelectable, and I quit. 

Older and wiser now, I see political parties for what they really are. Power-hungry and in league with big business. The cause of the kind is lost, and my country has become a lost cause. 

We are literally on the brink of social, environmental and economic collapse, and I am helpless. 

I realise I am now perpetually on the losing side. I bow to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment