Back in the 1960’s, in the midst of the Cold War, only prevented from being a Hot War, I suspect, because of H Bombs, there was, “Protect And Survive.” There were Civil Defence films, pep talks and a graphic pamphlet with very useful advice on how to turn the cupboard under the stairs into a bomb shelter, and what to hoard in the event of a Holocaust.
I was particularly chilled by advice and what to do with a dead body.
My recently deceased friend Wendy and I spent hours over a glass of wine at the Jolly Brewmaster mulling over the prospect of instant annihilation with a delicious mix of horror and awe. I wish she were with me now, to reprise the bad old days and critique the new Armageddon with the lens of the old.
So I will buy tuna, long life milk and oatcakes. I will store water and keep my phone charged, and await the emergency alarm and head for the cupboard under the stairs.
Where’s the hope, you ask?
This too, will pass.
As a woman of faith, I know how this story ends. I heard it from an angel:
“Why do you stand there looking into the sky? This Jesus who you has been taken from you into heaven will come back in the same way you saw him go.”
Amen. Come Lord Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment